Milwaukee Homeless Veterans Initiative
Founded in 2008, MHVI works to help homeless and at-risk veterans reach and maintain their highest levels of independence. Since its founding, MHVI has helped more than 3,000 southeastern Wisconsin veterans and their families obtain benefits, housing, health care, furniture, household goods, food, transportation, personal hygiene items, and other necessities. MHVI is actively recruiting for a dedicated, results oriented Executive Director to lead the mission and expand services that assist Veterans and their families.
Under the direction of the President of the Board of Directors, this position directs, manages and oversees the programs, services, fundraising, administration and operations for the non-profit agency. This key position is central to ensuring the mission, vision and values of the organization is implemented and has positive impact to those served by MHVI. The Executive Director is responsible for performing the following duties personally or through subordinates and volunteers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities, as The Board of Directors may deem necessary from time to time.
- Directs the fundraising, donor relations, grant process and other fundraising and awareness activities and events. Is seen as the face and key spokesperson for MHVI
- Is fiscally responsible for the agency; creates and maintains the budget, monthly reporting, expenses and is a responsible steward to the resources. Prepare financial reports for the BOD as requested.
- Evaluates all services and programs provided from MHVI ensures established procedures and policies are communicated to all concerned and are followed with consistency and the best interest of those being served.
- Establishes good networking relationships in the Veterans community in SE Wisconsin to collaborate and promote services to Veterans.
- Keeps BOD up to date with monthly reports on activities and financial status; seeks approvals and guidance as needed.
- Attends board and committee meetings as an ex officio member.
- Prepares and releases reports, studies, and publications to promote public understanding of and support for community programs.
- Interacts with media, serves on task forces and coalitions, and participates in other agency, school, church or community activities, which support and complement the services of MHVI.
- Develops, implements, reviews, and uses systems for evaluating the effectiveness of services provided.
- Establishes benchmark metrics to measure the success and impact of programs and services.
- Manages the human resources of MHVI, ensuring proper staffing, evaluations, training and accountability for all employees.
- Serves as the official representative of MHVI in negotiating contracts, partnerships and agreements.
- At least 5 years of leadership experience managing teams and social service programs, preferably in a non profit.
- Previous leadership experience in a non-profit organization preferably with a focus on Veterans services.
- Bachelor s degree in a related field of study is required with additional training and education preferred.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Veterans Community and the various Veterans situations and needs
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with public speaking experience
- Experience and knowledge in fundraising, events management and donor relations
- Skills and ability to develop programs and services that will benefit the population served.
- Experience and knowledge in financial, human resources and service operations
- Demonstrates compassion and understanding for the human condition and is dedicated to meeting the needs of those that have served our country from all branches and positions within the services.
- Veterans meeting these qualifications are strongly encouraged to apply.
A cover letter including a salary history and written motivation for the position, along with a resume can be sent to email: email@example.com
MHVI is A EEO Employer
The deadline for application is July 28, 2017.